Monday 2 April 2012

Painting Part 6 - Inside and Out

Visited the house this morning to meet with the painter. Was exciting to see so much progress made. Almost all the outside windows had been done, and my gable was painted, too!

This morning - my gable is now done!

I'd been thinking a lot whether to go monument grey (same as the front door) on the front double hung windows or dune (the same as the rest of the house).

Front door and sidelights. Undercoated, here.
Will be finished in high gloss.

After a lot of discussion with our painter, Matt, we ended up going in Dune. So I was delighted to stop by this afternoon to see it done and looking great!


Double hung windows in Dune.

The facade now almost complete!

So the front of the house is now done bar driveway, porch and rendered top of piers. I am actually wondering whether to still do those? We're planning a 'cuff' around each pillar just below the point where they start to taper, and then render the top bit. Am now wondering if less might be more, here?  Will have to check how neat the tapered bricks are. As the intention was always to render it might not be so neat? Will check it out tomorrow.

Also came to a decision re: interior paint. The yellow of the walls was just a bit too yellow for my liking. Since we were going to need a third coat anyway, I've changed the colour just a little. It may end up needing a 4th coat to do the full colour change - but here's hoping.  In either case the amount to change it was less than the amount it bothered me!!

So still a bit more painting to go - a 3rd coat internally, the downpipes and meter box and a bit on the alfresco area. But it's complete enough you can get a good idea of how it's going to look - and I must say I am delighted. I wanted something subtle and elegant - and (to my mind) this is what I've got!


2 comments:

  1. Love the outside colour! It's come up great!
    And as for the rendering, it looks good as it is, but I think there is a lot of brickwork, so rendering the top of the pillars might break it down just a bit.... just my two cents worth :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm for rendering the tops of the pillars too, same reason as Margie above. Looks great though!

    ReplyDelete