Saturday 14 April 2012

A rose by any other name...

So even before we started to build, I thought about the name for our house.

I like homes to have a name. Not necessarily stately. In fact often ironic! But our previous family homes are often referred to by name not address - even the most humble :)

I struggled with this one. 'Parkview' was something I've tried, for months, but it's still not sitting right.

So here I am - trying to find the right name for 'Parkview'. Because she needs a name. I just can't work out the right one :(

I don't want something pretentious. She's not an Elmhurst or an Enderbury. GREAT names - but she is a modest suburban home in a lovely vibrant street. I don't want her to aspire to what she's not. We have gorgeous oaks lining the street, and I'd love to follow this theme, but I am yet to find an 'Oak' name which sounds right.

We have a park 3 houses down (seen from our front yard) hence 'Parkview'. But it's not the right name.

I have searched original title / area / subdivision names with no success. I guess I am after ideas?

10 comments:

  1. Which Oak-y names have you discounted?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oaklands (too stately)
      Sleepy Oaks (we're too noisy for that)
      Yonder Oaks (sounds a bit wanky??)
      Oak Lodge (too stately)
      Red Oaks (ours aren't red :P)
      Five Oaks (we only have one)
      Oak Bank (we're flat)
      Oak Beams (new build)
      Oak Close (meh?)
      Oak Cottage (house is too big to be a cottage)
      Oak Dale - hmmm - maybe?

      Maybe The Oaks. Does that sound pretentious?? Or Oakwood?

      Delete
  2. Oakview
    Oakhurst
    Oakville
    Oak Manor
    Oakgate
    Oakhill
    Oak Park - I like this one
    Oakview
    Oakvista
    Bella Oak
    Oak Estate (okay so maybe this one is a bit pretentious)


    I really like The Oaks, it sounds classy yet homely. I can see you sending out invitations to gorgeous dinner parties, meet us at The Oaks....

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first name that came to mind was Oakview.

    I like houses with names.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well The Oaks and Oakville are just down the road from where I grew up, but they're suburbs. Oak Flats is just down the road from here and while it's flat, definitely no oaks!

    I like Oakview, merges with Parkview, or Oakgate for your beautiful gates!

    Oakhurst is ok.

    Oak Place, Oak Downs, Bligh Park (not oakey, I know, but it's a suburb around Windsor and I love the name!)Oak Lane, Oak Lodge...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I like Oak Lane, that's cute!

    It reminds me of a lane out at Orange in NSW, called Mulberry Lane, it's just so cute and lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oakley is not going to happen. Bad teenage remembrances of surfie sunglasses.

    It just occurred to me today that maybe our tree is a Maple? Better get that clarified before I go too far down the Oak naming route!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha, yes, do check on the tree species! Even better if it's something you can tap for syrup...

    ReplyDelete
  8. My previous house had a name too...loved it! It was ROSTRATA, which means "red house", as the whole house was built from redgum timber.
    That name would work for your house too, as it is red brick, but obviously not if you want to incorporate a treee species.

    ReplyDelete