Sunday 6 November 2011

It's an ill wind which blows no good!

Well after looking at the plans, I realised WHY there is a downpipe where there is. Where else is the right hand side of the front gable to drain?!? DOH! It's so obvious now I think about it! But that doesn't solve the fugly downpipe dilemma. Until I remembered rain chains.

Rain chains were traditionally used on Japanese homes and temples. Usually made of copper, the chains ranged from plain looped copper rings to ornate flower or cup shaped vessels. Water either runs down the chain or spills from one cup to the next. At the bottom it would discharge into a vessel/rain barrel, onto gravel or (more recently) into a stormwater port.

 

The Art Nouveau interest in all things Japanese saw rain chains utilised elsewhere in the world - a trend continued through to modernist buildings (where a plain chain was often used).

So? I am planning to have a gorgeous cup style rain chain near the front door spilling into a stormwater port hidden in a little garden. I can already imagine the gorgeous sound of the water spilling from one cup into the next - and I think it will be a perfect feature for the front of our home.

I'd always thought I'd like one somewhere - and it seems that this is the perfect spot. Now to decide on a style! I like the look of this one (remembering over time it will develop a lovely verdigris patina).

2 comments:

  1. Ahhh, some good has come of the ugly pipe situation.

    Meanwhile, I didn't actually realise the chains I had seen on a few display houses actually had a purpose, I thought they were just there to look pretty, as like your plans, they all went into a feature garden bed or water feature!

    You learn something new every day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, April :)

    Now that the idea has come to me, I like the idea so much that if I hadn't already been due to have a downpipe in that spot I may well have asked if I could add one!

    Because it's only going to take water from half the porch gable it doesn't need to be too robust - and I can just see it as a feature running into a garden with some gardenias and azalea.

    ReplyDelete