Friday 25 November 2011

Cicadas

So far a lot of the blog has been about physical progress with the build - but Parkview is not being built by bricks alone. The new house is a symbol of cementing ourselves within the local community.

Because we lived there, the neighbours already know us. And if they didn't, the 2 or 3 drive pasts/visits a day to the site recently would be enough to serve as an introduction!! So when I popped by just before dusk today to survey the day's progress, I wasn't surprised to say a quick hello and to show one of our neighbours through the site.

It's looking magnificent! The rubbish has been removed from the front of the site so now it's just bare dirt. So while the gable is not finished, nor the front door in, you can get a sense of how the home 'sits' within the street. And I have to say I am really pleased!

The low pitch and dark colour of the roof makes it an unassuming home. Visually it recedes rather than dominates which is what I wanted. While it doesn't try to claim 'I have always been here' it doesn't stand out as a new addition. In fact I think that combined with my lovely tree out the front it already looks partly 'settled' - and that's with the right hand side still sporting bright blue insulation!

Standing out the front listening to the cicadas this evening, I can already well imagine how it's going to look when the garden is complete. And I am pleased :)

New things today? Well bricking is ongoing - and today some additional framing has been done. Things like framing in the bathubs (which are now on site) and framing my dropped ceiling feature in the kitchen.

This, however, has made me realise I really need to pull my finger out and start selecting light fittings! We're going downlights throughout except in the entryway, 3 pendants above the kitchen island bench, outdoor lights and a light in the bathroom. So guess what I am doing tomorrow??

Any thoughts on a light to go in my entryway? I don't want a chandelliar or something too modern or something too retro or something too dominating but I still want it to be a feature. Not hard to please, am I?? I do know I want it to be some sort of pendant :P Hit me with your ideas, please :)

1 comment:

  1. What style of decor are you going for? If you want a pendant, but can't find the right one just yet, have them install a basic fitting and change it once you find the right light.

    ReplyDelete