Monday 24 September 2012

So what has worked?

Going with a Pollyanna perspective, I was thinking about what's really worked in the new house.

First would be the study nook. It was not initially part of the design - I'd just planned to use the spare room as a computer space. But I saw one on another blog and it was instantly obvious what, and where, ours should go. And it's worked so well. BRILLIANTLY in fact!!!

Gone are the days of me at one end of the house and Sean at the other. We sit a few feet away from one another chatting etc. while he watches TV and I surf or do bookwork. I love it :)

The back garden has also been a real success. It is literally 1/4 of the size of our old rear garden. But we're out there all the time! The cubby on an angle (and easily viewable from the rear living area) has been great too. Worth the extra effort it took to get it there.

The laundry drawers in the kids bathroom and laundry have proved so practical. We use them all the time, and it really does help keep the spaces cleaner and neater.

Changing from a sliding door to an open entry to the ensuite has also worked. It's great to lie there and watch the plasma while lying in the spa! While we would have been able to do that with a sliding door there, the open entry and the wall cutout give a lot more light and a feeling of space which a more enclosed design wouldn't have.

Finally the oven. OMG. I love it!!! The auto-start function. The various cooking functions. The sensitivity of controls? It's all so good!

2 comments:

  1. We love our laundry drawers! I dream about one day being able to put in everything I want in a house :D

    Could you possibly post a photo of your study nook? I can't see on the plans well enough to see where it is or visualise it particularly well. With losing our study to the new baby we're keen to look into good ideas in the future as we're running out of space!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm - I might. Have to clean it up first :P

    BTW - which of my friends who've recently had a baby is this?

    ReplyDelete