Monday 3 September 2012

Gardenias

The garden design has changed a little since it was initially quoted. Originally the concrete driveway was to be closer to the fence (except near the crossover) and there were to be 5 dietes in the space.

Dietes (Wild Iris) - lovely if you take care of it

Not so lovely if you don't

Knowing my own limitations, I decided I wanted something greener. Chatting to our landscaper today I said 'I just wish I could have gardenias there'. So we chatted and it looks like there's enough room, it's a good aspect for them, and they should do well.

This is an old photo from when 
the driveway was being exposed.
You can see the area in question 
along the fenceline beside the driveway.

I love love love gardenias! I'd always planned to add some to the under-planting - so to have a 'hedge' of 14 or 15 down the side of the driveway really appeals. I can already imagine sitting on the front porch with a glass of wine in summer, smelling their beautiful scent.


I also loved the idea of some white bearded iris - but it's a potentially wetish area so they might struggle with wet feet. That, and I need something I can plant now - not something which should have been planted 2 or 3 months ago. Never fear - I'll get some bearded iris in elsewhere.


Slowly now getting excited seeing the whole project come together. A ways to go, yet. But I can now (almost) feel we'll be in a new home soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment