Friday 17 February 2012

Garden

So today saw a mammoth trip to Bunnings. In fact 3 Bunnings, in the end, to get enough plants! Not for the new house - for the current house. The back garden is pretty sparse, here, so we needed to buy some plants to stick in before we rent it out. Ended up going with hebes as they grow fast, need zero care, and look pretty good.

However it did get me thinking about the garden at the new house.

I can't really describe what I want for the front garden - but I will know it when I see it. I know that I want a mixed garden - so a variety of plants - not just a line of all the same thing. Although I will probably group like with like or use layering.

I am not a native fan (sorry, Donna - just not my thing) and I like the look of a cottage garden, but not the 'mess'. So I am thinking of gardenias, azaleas, rhododendrons and that sort of thing with a few specimen plants built in. At Bunnings today there were some just gorgeous plants - and I am going through books getting ideas, too.

Gardenias

Azaleas

Rhododendrons

Camelias

The sides have me well and truly stumped. Will definitely need some landscaping help, there. As for the back? Well I have some vague ideas there, too, but will again need some help with the art of the possible. So for the time being I am just thinking about the front.

As part of this I also need to think about gates and pathing. I am thinking of having a path down the left (narrow) side to a tall gate. The service area is down that side, so it makes sense to have access. On the other side I am thinking tall double gates to allow digger / car / trailer access. So as I am thinking front landscaping, I need to mentally plan access to these gates, too.

Also have to start investigating lawns. I want something really lush looking at the front - but since it gets dappled light this might prove difficult. Might need to go wandering around established neighbourhoods sussing out their gardens :P

No comments:

Post a Comment