Wednesday 11 January 2012

Curtains

So I know it has been quiet the last few weeks - but basically nothing has happened over the Christmas break. I've gone past the house a few times this week and no movement. At the moment I am waiting to hear from our site supervisor about the art of the possible in terms of moving the WIR wall.

I have not been altogether stationary, though. Last week my friend Margie (a professional in the curtains game) came to talk blinds with me!

For the rear of the house I am still undecided. We did talk about sunscreen rollers with a roman over the top, but then I realised that the sunscreen rollers might not be necessary as we don't need daytime privacy in those rooms as there are no directly overlooking windows (well only one small section of the living room could potentially be overlooked by an upstairs bathroom from next door). So maybe we don't need the sunscreens at all? That leaves either a blockout roller for nightime/privacy when needed or a roman for the same job.

Now I love the look of romans. They look great both up and down. And I could go for a different colour, texture or fabric for a bit of visual interest. Of course, I could go for a bonded roller fabric blind which would be the same sort of thing. But I am thinking I prefer the roman look - and I can also 'overmount' them (e.g. above the window frames) to give the visual illusion of taller windows.

In the kids bedrooms I am thinking of blockout rollerblinds with decorative drapes. Might go plain, or maybe a bonded fabric for the roller and then a decorative rod for some eyelet drapes. I actually suggested this to a friend and then thought 'hang on - that's a good idea for my place, too!'. Neither bedroom needs daytime privacy, so the rollerblind would really just be for night.

In the guest room I am thinking a sunscreen blind or sheers with a roman over the top. I would want privacy in that room during the day as well as blockout at night.

In the ensuite I am thinking timber shutters.

Finally in the bedroom and sitting room I am thinking vertical sheers with side drapes. I am pretty confident with the vertical sheers, but can't piece together the side drapes, yet. I think that part will have to wait until we're in to decide.

OK - I need to get a paper bag and go slowly breathe in and out of it. All that is going to cost a fortune! Methinks this is going to have to be tackled slowly and room by room. I think I will plan the kids rooms first. While I can cope with a blanket over the window for a few weeks or months, I really want their rooms set up and ready to go as soon as we're in!

So now the decision. What sort of roller blinds for the kids? Plain white to match the walls? Versatile but dull dull dull! Or do I go a solid colour? Maybe a denim for Oscar and a pink for Adelaide? But what if I want to change doonas or decor? Or do I go all out and do a patterned fabric roller? Like this?


Ahh - decisions, decisions!!

No comments:

Post a Comment