Friday 17 August 2012

Ponderings

I spent the whole day at the house today, pretty much. The kids were off early for an all-day grandparent visit - so it was a great chance to get in to the house and give it the sort of clean I'd like it to have before we move.

Generally it was pretty good - but because of the floor sanding/final polish, the walls had lots of red dust on them. Not immediately obvious, but in some rooms where the light hit it just right you could really see it. So much of the day was spent with the feather duster. Also started on washing down the walls in the bathrooms. Although they've already been washed over, they really need another few goes to get all the grout and dust off.

Tested the windows, doors, handles etc. as I went through. Only 3 need attention (the double hungs are all stuck - and the ensuite window is sticking). A few tiny little touchups needed - but really I'm quite pleased.

Sean had thoughtfully taken a few bits and bobs over last night along with my cleaning stuff - including 2 chairs! They're the new chairs to go with our new meals table - and I am happy to confirm they are really comfy - and look great in the kitchen/meals area! As soon as I saw them insitu I thought 'got THAT right!'

Late morning my lovely friend Margie came to fit blinds in the spare and kids' rooms. They look great! Eventually I plan to add some overdrapes for interest - but will wait until I am decorating each room to decide that part. For now they have nice blockouts in a textured off-white which will work with any scheme I introduce in the future.

New blind in the spare room. Same in the kids rooms

Also (FINALLY) decided on what to do in the master bedroom! We're going with 'Eggshell' drapes on a chrome decorator rod over box pleat sheers. The drapes will be hung 20cm above actual window height - and extend beyond the edge of the windows so when they are retracted you get full light. Looking in to getting (or making) a matching padded bedhead to tie it all together.

This sort of rod, but with pinch pleat drapes and sheers

Am doing the same rod and sheers in the front room - but will decide on the actual drapes at a later stage. Means we can pin a blanket to the rod for privacy and buy a bit of time to think about how I want to style that room.

Also having an off-white shutter in the recess between the ensuite and bedroom, and matching off-white venetians in the ensuite and bathroom. Would have liked to have done shutters, but the winder on the awning windows protrudes too far - so wooden style venetians it is.

Our landscaper, Warren, also dropped by to check out the site - as he is eager to start this coming week. Suits us!! Reminds me - I need to ring and get our electricity switched over...

No comments:

Post a Comment