Monday 2 September 2013

Spring has Sprung!

Spring is here and suddenly the doors and windows are open and the garden is blooming! The long winter months have got me interested in winter colour for the garden - and one of the most stunning plants I have found is the Hellebore. I make it sound like this was a recent find, but actually I discovered these little wonders a month or so ago. That's right - Hellebores are winter bloomers!

A neighbour has a pretty green and purple bank in her garden, but then I learned there are many other rather pretty varieties of these plants. They're apparently easy to grow (my neighbour says hers thrive on neglect) and they like dappled sunlight in summer but more direct light in the cooler months. My front garden could be just the spot!

A selection of Hellebore

One particular variety I want in my front garden

Interested in this one, too!

There's a local grower who sells them and has open days every Sunday until the end of November. I thought it might be worth a day trip up there to see some of the varieties and pick up 4 or 5 to block plant.

No comments:

Post a Comment