Saturday 10 November 2012

The bell

Something I had not anticipated was that it would be hard to hear a knock at the front door when you are down the back of the house. So a door bell, of some sort, became an issue.

I initially thought a brass bell - and managed to source just the thing at Bunnings. But positioned next to our chrome door handle it looked silly. And the chrome bell, when we tried it, looked even worse!

So despite my misgivings, we ended up looking for an electronic doorbell. Not wanting it to stand out, I immediately limited the selections to grey/black models. To be honest they all seemed like much of a muchness. Sean said no 'Westminster' chime (I have to say I agree) so we ended up with a model which does that chime but also with the option of a simple 'ding dong'.

It is wireless - and the 'speaker' can be positioned anywhere in the house. It's on top of the fridge, at the moment, which is surprisingly quite a good spot as it echos a little and you can hear it everywhere but it's not too loud from the bedrooms.

Visually the button is quite discrete, which I like. So while I started out fully expecting to get a brass bell, I ended up with some plastic made in China and could not be happier :)

The front door bell.

No comments:

Post a Comment