Saturday 2 June 2012

Curtains

So - two posts in one day!

This afternoon I am thinking about curtains. Specifically for the master bedroom and possibly the sitting room.

Over the months I have had numerous thoughts on this. Initially I had thought of quite a complicated design - but as usual my ideas have become simpler and simpler as the time goes on.

For me most of the time less really IS more!

One style I kept coming back to is plain neutral drapes with a sheer underneath. Classic. Timeless. Elegant. And for someone who likes to change bed linens as often as I do, practical!

A very elegant woman I know (R) used this style, and I much admire it! Here are photos from her home (used with her permission).

Simple curtains in a neutral fabric.

Pinch pleat sheers underneath.

After I found out the material name, I was able to go to Spotlight and see the full colour range there. While there are about 40 colourways all up, these are the ones I was most interested in:


Thanks to R's kindness sending me a swatch of 'Sand' which she still had, and Margie's assistance procuring swatches of Oyster and Eggshell, I started to think about what look I want.

In real life Sand is quite a deep colour. Absolutely gorgeous, but maybe too deep to match with my planned blue and greens bedroom colour scheme? Oyster looks quite blue/green in the above photo, but in reality is a little less so. It would match with my planned bedlinen etc. but might limit future decorating ideas for the room.

Eggshell is ambiguous. In some lights it looks as though there are a few green 'threads' in it - yet in other lights it looks a bit more taupe. It's more taupe and less pale than the above photo indicates. I really like the eggshell - but I am worried it may look a little insipid? I took swatches when we visited the house today and it did look good...

The idea is that it would be on a decorator rod like this:


I think I will end up going with the eggshell. In the master at least. Really not sure what to do in the sitting room. I think I might hold off on that one until inspiration strikes. As I have only 2 pieces of furniture for that room I really have nothing to guide me. I suspect I will furnish and decorate that room in one hit - so I'll leave the curtains until then.

3 comments:

  1. I love classic drapes with sheers, they are timeless.

    My colour thoughts would be the Eggshell, based on the colours of the rooms, and the floors, Sand might be a little too dark. I don't mind the Oyster, however if you were to switch your linen to a red/orange/pink/any other colour, it might not work as well.

    What do you have planned in the kids rooms?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, April :) Sounds like you and I are on the same page!

    In the kids bedrooms I am going blockout rollers, initially. In time I plan to add decorative eyelets - the idea being there are plenty of inexpensive pre-made eyelet options - so I can quickly and inexpensively change the eyelets to match new decors as and when (but that the quality roller will act as the actual block out).

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds completely reasonable to me. Plus if you change their colour scheme/decor its not a major expense to change the blinds either.

    ReplyDelete