Saturday 8 June 2013

When inspiration strikes!

So as we're doing bits and bobs around the house, Sean asks 'what are we going to do with this?' 'This' being a hanging rack he made when we were expecting Oscar.

At the time I just could not find a hanging rack for above the change table. I really wanted one - so eventually Sean said if I found the pegs, he would make one up for me.

Some EBAY shaker style wooden pegs, an offcut of skirting board, a lick of paint and my hanging rack was here. And it loyally served in two nurseries!

In Oscar's nursery

In Adelaide's nursery

But with a move to the new house, the peg hanger had no obvious place. I considered the WIR and other spots, but nowhere seemed 'right'. Until today, of course, when Sean asked me yet again where it could go. Immediately an idea presented itself... On the back of the door of the 'in and out' cupboard!

The 'in and out' cupboard is so named as it is the place for transitory items. The kids' daycare bags. Library books. Tupperware and DVDs to go back to my mother-in-law. Bags being filled to go to charity / kinder / daycare or items to be given to friends.

It was originally designed to be a coat cupboard in the entryway of our home, but I felt we'd have little need for a dedicated coat cupboard. So as part of the build we had it fitted out with shelves - and being next to the front door it is the perfect spot for things going in or out!

Every time we leave the house I open the door and quickly scan it. Something to return to a shop which I am headed to? Going to be seeing a particular mate? Going to mother-in-laws? Heading past a charity bin? I'll grab whatever I need and keep going. It's also nice when a mate drops over as I have anything I might need to give them right there and handy as they leave.

However the one thing the 'in and out' cupboard DOES lack is a place to hang a guest's coat. Which is where the hanging rack comes in.

The shelves in the cupboard are inset - so there are quite a few inches between the back of the cupboard door and the front of the shelves. The perfect place to hang the occasional coat or two.

Now initially I had thought to just put a coat hook there. But when Sean asked about the hanging rack, it occurred to me that the other thing we could benefit from was a spot to conveniently hang our 'park hats'. Being able to grab a hat, and walk down to the local park, will speed that journey up considerably. It also means there's no excuse for being lazy - there will always be a hat there ready and waiting.

Well! It was meant to be! When we popped the rack on to the back of the door to try out for size it fitted perfectly. And there are enough hooks to hang our park hats as well as leaving a couple of pegs free for coat hangers for guests' coats.

As strange as it sounds, we're finding lots of little things like this - where the old items suddenly find their place in the new home. And it all adds to making our home more livable :)

The hanging rack - now in the 'in and out' cupboard

Takes a coat perfectly. 
And is the perfect spot for our park hats!

1 comment:

  1. Wow you really do think of everything! I never thought of having an in and out cupboard...it seems like such a great idea!

    ReplyDelete