Thursday 7 July 2011

So it all comes down

And tomorrow it all comes down. Our house, I mean.

We only lived there for 6 months, but we loved it. We bought the house when there was just the 3 of us. We sat on the front nature strip, barely daring to breathe, as our best friend's Dad did the bidding on our behalf. It's where Oscar first slept in a BIG BOY bed. Where we celebrated his second birthday. The house where we froze in the cold and sweltered in the heat. The house with bad plumbing and no hot water.

We still loved it!

Oscar calls it 'his house'. Adelaide arrived a couple of months after we moved out, so she does not know the house other than through recent visits. Oscar still remembers it, though. Last visit I said to him "where's your room?" and he charged straight to his old room in the house, big grin on his face.



And tomorrow it will be no more. I must admit I am a little emotional about it :(  While I know the house we build will be right for us, I don't like the idea of destroying something to get to it. Maybe I am just sentimental?

That house was a small snapshot in time - reminding me of a particularly significant time in our lives. I know one can't go backwards - but I think it's permissible to get a little teary thinking back to a time and place where Adelaide was only just on her way, my little guy still slept in a cot, and we first moved to the street we hope to live in for a long long time to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment